Sunday, August 17, 2014

Solitary mountaineering in Okutama

Okutama station
Okutama 奥多摩 is the western mountains area in Tokyo. It takes around 2.5 hours from Shinjuku by JR train. It surprise us that such great views exist in Tokyo. Last month I climbed Mt. Fuji and searched the next one around Tokyo. Japan is rich nature country and has hundreds of mountains that climbers aim. I read a magazine about climbing and rock-climbing and found that Yarigadake 槍ヶ岳 and Tsurugidake 剱岳 are so exciting but I am still a beginner and they might be one of my lifetime goals. Not now... I know Okutama has several mountains and chose Mt. Takanosu 鷹ノ巣山 as the next mountain of Fuji. The height is 1736 m and I thought it was easy (but I knew that was mistake later...)

My plan follows a map book "山と高原地図" and I take a bus from Okutama station (奥多摩駅) to Higashi-nippara (東日原) and walk to Naka-nippara and then start climbing there. I climb Mt. Takanosu for around 3 hours and take lunch break on the top. I climb down along the ridge to Okutama station. Check trail map. The plan is okay. Let's climb!

Trail Map


Entrance of trail
I left home at 4:30 am(!) and arrived at JR Okutama station at 7:30. Then I got off a bus at Higashi-Nippara at 8 am and in 10 minutes I found a small entrance to a mountain trail around Naka-nippara. The trail was wet and slippy since the previous day was rain. And it was steep slope. My shoes air magma are probably  not a real mountain shoes but I climbed well for a while. I met only four or five parties. One of them seems like a mountaineering club of university. They wore black uniforms and carried very big rucksacks. 

Inamuraiwa rocks/稲村岩

The first point I took break is called Inamuraiwa rocks (稲村岩). Here is rocks area and I searched the top. It was exciting like a rock-climbing but scary when I looked down. And suddenly, ohhh, a black snake came up to my hand! I froze for a moment. The snake was surprised too (?) and went somewhere. What if it has poison... Finally I didn't know correctly where was the top.   

Greeeeeenn!!
I restarted climbing. It kept steep. It takes 100 minutes to the next point called Hirumeshikuinotawa in my schedule. The view is wonderful. Everything is green. In Mt. Fuji it was too high to live creatures and the view was only boring stones though the sunrise was awesome. Here in Okutama fortunately is a treasure house for nature. Beech trees, rivers, insects, flowers, mushrooms... Haa haa... It was killer steep. It took 130 minutes and arrived at the next point Hirumeshikuinotawa. I am not sure about the name of origin but Hirumeshi means Lunch in Japan. Definitely it is a perfect place to have lunch :D I had Onigiri. I was relieved that the mountaineering club was there.


The top of Mt.Takanosu
I was behind the schedule so I restarted soon. The top of Mt. Takanosu 鷹ノ巣山 is in front of the eyes. I climbed 30 minutes and finally stood on the top. It's 1736 m. I feel great! There was no tree around and I can see only mountains and sky. Guidebook says that I can see Mt.Fuji but I could not.

Then I climbed down along the ridge. It was not so hard and I could ran like a trail running. The only problem is the slippy trail. I slipped a few times and fell on my butt.. 

I finished off my water (1 litter) at the top and I was so thirsty while climbing down for around three hours. I ate chocolate instead. The trail was not clear and I was worried if I got lost. I have a compass that I bought at Tokyu Hands. I knew that Okutama station is east way and my trail was right. 

I got lost?
I came back to Okutama town at 16:30 as schedule. The sky was not dark and I did not use headlight. I bought Cola in vending machine and finished this activity. Okutama has beautiful nature that Tokyo citizens are proud. The next time I will challenge the highest mountain in Okutama Mt. Kumotori 雲取山 (2017 m). 







Panorama of the top





No comments:

Post a Comment